Many of my Finn acquaintances tend to hype Sacrilegious Impalement a lot, much thanks to the band’s major debut Cultus Nex released a couple of years ago. But I was never truly impressed as the evident Watain worship, combined to a soulless Necromorbus studio sound, lacked all necessary power and feeling of danger. Now the band is back with II - Exalted Spectres for which I had higher hopes, but I’m getting similar vibes as I got with Cultus Nex. There’s the discordance, the evil and profoundly Satanic atmosphere, and at times the faster bursts of enraged violence, but when it is all executed so carefully in a professional production, where does reside all sense of truthful hazard and unpredictability?
Don’t get me totally wrong: at what the band does on Exalted Spectres, it does it with skill. Not every band out there is capable of creating something as massive as this album, and not everyone can pull out vocals like Hellwind Inferion in his possessed, mid-range screams, most perfectly delivered on ”Aletheia” which is sung in native tongue, making it sound more authentic and emotional than e.g. the common ’six six six’ proclamations in English. The twirling tremolo melodies are a pleasure to hear as well but unfortunately they provide nothing out of the ordinary and, honestly speaking, almost none of the melodies on Exalted Spectres could be said to be really memorable afterwards. It’s all enjoyable during the course of listening, yet not sticking to head afterwards, no matter how many spins I give the album.
The mediocrity is probably at its worst on a track like ”Omnipotens Aeterne” which almost practically repeats the previous songs, but there are also highlights worth mentioning: ”Woods in a Solitary Soul” is one personal favourite of mine, almost three of its five minutes being distortionless, lurking menace with guitars and whispered vocals. Then there’s ”Grand Funeral Convoy” which is a very fitting bookend song, ending the album with the record’s best song progressions, culminating into some sweet lead melody. But what comes to the more common pieces of Watain esque black metal, à la ”Blessed to Resist” or ”Wolves of the Black Moon”, I can’t say they really move me in a direction or another.
If you were one of those who found Cultus Nex good, then there’s of course no need to hesitate at all at checking out Exalted Spextres. I am willing to bet that those will love this one as well, as even I am able to hear that at least they haven’t gotten worse at all. Exalted Spectres is an album I can always listen to and enjoy it to a certain extent, but does it comprise heart-wrenching, goosebumps inducing material? No, none that I am aware of so far, though I’ve tried. Decent black metal combining the aggression of more traditional bands with the ominous atmosphere of more modern bands. That is what I hear Exalted Spectres to be to the bone.
Don’t get me totally wrong: at what the band does on Exalted Spectres, it does it with skill. Not every band out there is capable of creating something as massive as this album, and not everyone can pull out vocals like Hellwind Inferion in his possessed, mid-range screams, most perfectly delivered on ”Aletheia” which is sung in native tongue, making it sound more authentic and emotional than e.g. the common ’six six six’ proclamations in English. The twirling tremolo melodies are a pleasure to hear as well but unfortunately they provide nothing out of the ordinary and, honestly speaking, almost none of the melodies on Exalted Spectres could be said to be really memorable afterwards. It’s all enjoyable during the course of listening, yet not sticking to head afterwards, no matter how many spins I give the album.
The mediocrity is probably at its worst on a track like ”Omnipotens Aeterne” which almost practically repeats the previous songs, but there are also highlights worth mentioning: ”Woods in a Solitary Soul” is one personal favourite of mine, almost three of its five minutes being distortionless, lurking menace with guitars and whispered vocals. Then there’s ”Grand Funeral Convoy” which is a very fitting bookend song, ending the album with the record’s best song progressions, culminating into some sweet lead melody. But what comes to the more common pieces of Watain esque black metal, à la ”Blessed to Resist” or ”Wolves of the Black Moon”, I can’t say they really move me in a direction or another.
If you were one of those who found Cultus Nex good, then there’s of course no need to hesitate at all at checking out Exalted Spextres. I am willing to bet that those will love this one as well, as even I am able to hear that at least they haven’t gotten worse at all. Exalted Spectres is an album I can always listen to and enjoy it to a certain extent, but does it comprise heart-wrenching, goosebumps inducing material? No, none that I am aware of so far, though I’ve tried. Decent black metal combining the aggression of more traditional bands with the ominous atmosphere of more modern bands. That is what I hear Exalted Spectres to be to the bone.
2.5 / 5
Cheesus, still you have to review the records from the bands you don´t like. I have to disagree with you that althought there could be heard some "Watain"(Dissection) in their songs, it doesn´t sound nothing like them. Only better than Watain today I say. One of the best for 2011.
ReplyDeleteI have given a good listening to it too and it´s way better than Cultus Nex was. But I can´t stop wondering how you can say that Omnipotens Aeterne is like Aletheia, or any other song on the record, WTF? To me there´s a decent amount difference between the songs, especially compared to what your beloved Watain offers.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the comments! I do not despise this album if that is what you guys suggest, and I don't revere Watain (the only album I own in my collection is "Rabid Death's Curse" which is quite good). Two and half stars means a decent album in my books. The fact that this album sounds so similar to a plethora of other albums in the current trend is what makes this album easily forgettable, I'm afraid. As a reviewer (though not professional to any extent), I come across a lot of albums in e.g. this vein and it is hard to say what would make "Exalted Spectres" stand above. And what comes to reviewing albums that 'I don't like', this was a physical copy of the record provided by the label, so logically I do a return service. Once again, thanks for the comments, and keep them coming!
ReplyDeleteFor me the new CD is a great follower of the previous works. As a big fan of the band i would be grateful if you could do a list of the recent records wich stand in the same line with Sacrilegious Impalement since there seems to be some i haven´t found. Don´t list any Dimmu Borgir or any of that shit, just serious underground music.
ReplyDeleteFrom the last two years or so, first comes to mind BLAZE OF PERDITION: "Towards the Blaze of Perdition", KOZELJNIK: "Deeper the Fall", LIGHTNING SWORDS OF DEATH: "The Extra Dimensional Wound", MERRIMACK: "Grey Rigorism", ONDSKAPT: "Arisen from the Ashes", ORCIVUS: "Est Deus in Nobis", VALKYRJA: "Contamination", WATAIN: "Lawless Darkness". Some of those are great, some certainly less... And of course, none of those albums are identical to "Exalted Spectres" but share enough similarities so that this SI album kind of falls to the mass. I totally understand your point though, if I happen to love some band and someone comes and says "pff it sounds just like *that* and *that*", I simply couldn't understand him/her.
ReplyDelete