Combining black metal with punk / rocking elements is something I’ve grown fond of lately, but such acts have mostly resided in the most filthiest undergrounds on scruffy tape demos. What comes to bands like late Carpathian Forest, Nadiwrath or Mordhell right here, now they’re the kind of punkish black metal bands that seem to try too hard to sound evil, alcoholic, sick and basically anti-everything.
That said, there’s no way of not reading song titles like ”You Are My Fucking Pornostar!!!!” or ”Alcoholic Titfuckblast” tongue in cheek, and this already reduces the music’s effect on me. Call me too serious or something, but I do require something more from my music than mere ’let’s drink, be evil and hate everything’ which makes also Mordhell’s second album, Suffer in Hell, a hard bite to swallow.
By now, one can probably guess the band’s musical influences. Darkthrone shines through in all departments, but the most I’m reminded of Craft, not only by the instruments but also by the very similar screaming style. Just think of a less-grooving, more straightforward Craft with lame song titles, and there’s Suffer in Hell for you: 13 rather short bursts of simple beats and power chord riffs. The band handles their instruments smoothly and I’m also digging the semi-warm production. There’s surely a fanbase for this kind of black metal, so fans of the bands mentioned in the first paragraph can't go wrong by checking out Suffer in Hell. I personally prefer to just skip these.
That said, there’s no way of not reading song titles like ”You Are My Fucking Pornostar!!!!” or ”Alcoholic Titfuckblast” tongue in cheek, and this already reduces the music’s effect on me. Call me too serious or something, but I do require something more from my music than mere ’let’s drink, be evil and hate everything’ which makes also Mordhell’s second album, Suffer in Hell, a hard bite to swallow.
By now, one can probably guess the band’s musical influences. Darkthrone shines through in all departments, but the most I’m reminded of Craft, not only by the instruments but also by the very similar screaming style. Just think of a less-grooving, more straightforward Craft with lame song titles, and there’s Suffer in Hell for you: 13 rather short bursts of simple beats and power chord riffs. The band handles their instruments smoothly and I’m also digging the semi-warm production. There’s surely a fanbase for this kind of black metal, so fans of the bands mentioned in the first paragraph can't go wrong by checking out Suffer in Hell. I personally prefer to just skip these.
2 / 5

No comments:
Post a Comment