Sunday, December 11, 2011

GRAVEWÜRM: "Blood of the Pentagram"

When I witnessed Gravewürm live back in 2009, it didn't say much and paled a lot in comparison to the spectacles performed that very night by Satanic Warmaster, Drowning the Light, and Arghoslent. Gravewürm was just a couple of normal looking guys playing very, almost absurdly simple power chord riffs. On album, it was even worse as it included a drum machine. But I guess that something has went terribly wrong in my head as after the gig I've slowly grown to enjoy this demented simplicity and cheap computer beats and bought Dark Souls of Hell straight from the label Barbarian Wrath. Shortly after that it was announced that Blood of the Pentagram would be the band's last album, so here it is, the grande finale of Gravewürm. This one must be epic.

Is it? Hell no. The band keeps its roots strongly in the very same style they begun with, meaning Hellhammer, Venom and the likes influenced old school black metal with hints of doom and death. The first track ”Goat Command” sets the mood for the rest of the album already. A lot of palm-muted old school riffage and evil, almost whispered vocals on top, plus the steady and sharp drum machine beats in the background. I guess that at least vaguely there's a bit more mysteriousness in the melodies than previously, like e.g. the lead melodies of ”Deeper Dungeons” and ”Necromance” suggest. Also worth noting is the title track with is rhythmic war march that impressed yours truly. ”Two Coins for Charon” surprises with its synths that hint towards Countess, and a definitely welcome feature it is.

Despite the somewhat surprising elements I mentioned in the paragraph above, Blood of the Pentagram is ultimately simple music from its core, and when it it summed to the bedroom level production, I don't think many will enjoy the album - or the whole band in general. Hence it is hard to recommend something like this, but I personally find it satisfying. Of course an album of this sort that comprises twelve tracks is bound to include filler material and this is no exception, but it doesn't matter much. Gravewürm stands true to its uncompromising, primitive approach, and I won't complain. If I had something proper to complain about, it would be the cover art that has for some reason changed from the usual Gravewürm scheme (a stylish painting) to a very common bestial black metal artwork. Not that this cover wouldn't reflect the band's sound – perhaps this is just a more apt cover for the band.

3.5 / 5

No comments:

Post a Comment