Saturday, May 26, 2012

HORN OF THE RHINO: "Grengus"

Although my primary musical interests lie in other styles than doom or sludge, there's one particular Czech record label whose output I've had the pleasure to follow, and through which I've come across plenty worthwile discoveries. Released via Doomentia Records, Grengus – an album title whose phonological properties already hint at the actual music – grumbles and rumbles effeciently in the currents of death, doom and sludge under the appellation Horn of the Rhino.

Fundamentally, Grengus is mid-paced, grooving and muddy. A key feature is the heavy guitar tone, as well as the well-pummeled, energetic rhythm section. Much of the album's power resides in the crushing production, and this is also what become's Grengus' hindrance: it sounds good, but I don't hear much longevity in the compositions themselves, no matter how deftly played. Vocals snarl and stretch around the style of Mastodon, and while I enjoy their appearance in the aforementioned band, I have a trouble with other bands singing in this vein. It's bearable, but some low-pitched grunting would have fitted here very well, too. I do like how the vocals change into a Black Sabbath esque clean style on the self-titled track, though. The foreboding and lengthy ”Brought Back” must be the highlight, being perhaps the only track during which I'm really listening carefully and waiting for what ever might happen next.

In its genre, and among the fans of it, Grengus is probably a lot better than I am letting you believe, but it's about apples and oranges really. You enjoy sludge and doom? I suggest to check this out. You do not enjoy sludge and doom? No business for you here. I'm not entirely leaning towards the latter category, however, and can appreciate various features of Grengus, even if I wouldn't say it's an exceptional album in any way.

3 / 5

No comments:

Post a Comment