I remember
obtaining Zervm's 2008 demo tape Nihil Morte Certivm from a distro
for two euros or so, and how happy was I for getting such a score.
Not that it would have been a truly awesome hidden gem from the
underground, but in comparison to how cheap it was, I enjoyed
spinning it surprisingly often. A little bit deranged, filthy black
metal was Zervm's style back then, and it's not much unlike their
offerings on the brand new album Nex Cvltvs.
Simply put, Zervm
here is somewhat murky power chord firing with ominous twists, i.e.
the rather traditional ravaging riffs sometimes diverge into atonal
notes. Barbaric drumming backs this up, and on top of all are the
leprous snarls of the vocalist, half-spoken, or more like uttered.
This is the paradigm under which the band plays through the whole
album without any alterations really, but luckily it tastes pretty
good: these seven horrid spells are all effective. However, in the
big picture, they tend to resemble each other a bit too much. In the
course of listening throughout the album, and I've done it maybe six
times now, my mind starts wondering off always at some point, and
then I need to skip back a few tracks to the moment when my mind
departed.
The stripped
production and overall style resemble that of Hrizg's latest
offerings Anthems to Decrepitude and Inferno, so if those appeal to
you, so should Nex Cvltvs. The atmosphere is pretty damn well
accomplished here, both suffocating and somehow cavernous, but
song-wise I would have liked to hear some more variation, I guess.
The basic elements are handled like they should be, meaning that
there's nothing wrong with the instrumentation nor sound, but I still
find it lacking something that would raise it higher than many others
in the field.
3 / 5

No comments:
Post a Comment