Wednesday, January 9, 2013

ANAL BLASPHEMY: "Perversions of Satan"

Laden with a hefty amount of such characteristic words as anal, blasphemy, perversions and Satan, it takes no many guesses to figure out the general framework in which Anal Blasphemy executes its black metal; or if it still doesn't ring your bells, then take a look at the cover art which ultimately reveals that Perversions of Satan, the band's third full-length, is a dirty, uncompromising mixture of death and black metal to its very core.

In reference to their older material, though, I must confess I'm not hundred percent familiar with their back catalogue. I've grown fond of Molestor Kadotus' other project Musta Kappeli ever since the 2007 demo and tend to follow every movement in that camp (some very good atmospheric forest black metal, if you didn't know already), but somehow the blatant morbid execution of Anal Blasphemy hasn't hit the right spots in me. However, on Perversions of Satan I see evolution into a direction which I'm able to appreciate more. It seems that along with the rusty, nicely clumsy and just plain ugly underground death/black metal there are many hints to more careful composing: these songs aren't just about ravaging to every song's end in as evil and fast manner as possible, but about incorporating more depth and seriousness via rather slow pace and latently sorrowful melody constructions. The element of shivering nostalgia culminates in "Lust for Satan (Sexual Worship)" which features the Anguished mastermind delivering inhuman, ice cold female screams on top of wistful riffing. The result of these combined elements is something very morbid and fucked up even in my ears and I think I've heard plenty of weird stuff in the noise / PE circles.

The band's delivery is constant ever after the Pekka Siitoin sample in the intro (he's such a legend in Finland, just see the recent Uncreation's Dawn album or the new Rivologi tape for more), and the cruelty doesn't end until the last doomy chords of "Altar of Indulgence". In the afterglow, I realize I've come across many sweet ideas on this album. There's absolutely nothing truly innovative here, and that's surely acknowledged by the band, so your taste in music has to have a free spot for some general, disturbed Satanic pummeling to appreciate Perversions of Satan. For me, the album wouldn't be the first choice if I was to insert some menacing death/black metal to the player (that honor would most likely be Archgoat's), but is nonetheless a competent whole that is bound to have a certain listener base – a base who can add at least one star more to the score I've given.

3 / 5

No comments:

Post a Comment