I've
deliberately avoided listening to any ambient music for a long time,
for the sole reason that I haven't had proper equipment to truly
enjoy this particular style of music. But now that my shiny new
headphones are in, I was more than glad to give the new Arktau Eos
albums a go. I've followed these Finnish groups for various years and
they've always kept my interest: there's no way to deny the ingenuity
and brilliance of Halo Manash or Zoät-Aon. Now Arktau Eos is coming
up with two brand new releases of which the other, Ioh-Maera, is
CD-only, consisting of five long (around ten minutes a piece),
haunting tracks that probably derive from some other plane of
existence.
"Unbinding
Kaamos" starts it all, creeping up slowly with a deep bass tone
pattern. After a while, discordant male chanting emerges, uttering
Enochian secrets on the brink of insanity. Brooding cymbal-like
hissing in the background. With "Noxfaros" things get more
active via the incorporation of a repetitive percussion pattern.
Compared to the preceding track, the humming is slightly higher and
extrovert. Culmination happens in a noisy drone reminiscent of guitar
drone that fluctuates between the left and right channels.
"Sunken
Luminaries" soothes the atmosphere a bit. The feedback drone is
still lurking but otherwise it's calm now, though the constant
feeling of oppression lingers on. Then, "Ioh-Maera" returns
to rhythm. A deeply reverberating pattern is being repeated among the
layer of low-tone, malefic chants. At six minutes or so, hell breaks
loose with the vocals heavily proclaiming IOH-MAERA, IOH-MAERA...
"Otherstone Refraction" brings a bit of relief after all
the infernality of the previous track. This is the first time I sense
something vaguely melodic on the album, but it's really minimal. A
steady hum carries on through the track, slowly ending the journey.
What's
left after the session is a confused mind which feels like it
departed this life for the course of the album. This, of course,
requires rather heavy volume; otherwise you end up dismissing the
whole thing and turning on something 'more lively' music. Anyways,
Ioh-Maera manages to do exactly what I think an ambient album should
do: keep my attention throughout and bring me to some other
sceneries. There are no big twists on the album, but it simply sounds
so damn good and organic that it's pure pleasure to listen to. I
could have shortened a couple of the tracks a bit here, but it's not
like I'm bored at any moment of the experience. Those into dark,
ritualistic ambient should not miss this one – nor the vinyl-only
album either.
4 / 5

No comments:
Post a Comment