Friday, October 26, 2012

SHIA-IXA: "Chaos Voodoo Magick"

Whenever I put on Shia-Ixa's Chaos Voodoo Magick, I'm reminded of the fact that most of the black metal that gets released nowadays follows some very strick guidelines. Then when I return to witness what the hell is going on on this tape, I smile because Shia-Ixa has actually done something really weird here, but it's also (1) tasty and (2) authentic black metal that doesn't play with mere artsy gimmicks.

We could of course debate on whether this is solely a black metal record, but I don't find that so relevant a question. Anyhow, at places there are some surprisingly 'general' riffs in the background, like on the starter "The Possession". The dominating weird stuff, however, happens in the forefront where maniacal moans and wails confuse the listener to the brink of insanity. This piece of harsh hammering is followed by the ritualistic "Celebration of the Reign of Exua" which incorporates a pummelling, reverberating bass drum whacking steady kicks under a hysteric acoustic guitar plucking discordant tunes. Ominous voices in the background. Chanting. A vehement conjuration?

"Liturgy of Mahu Khaos" is then a return to the first track's style with messy drums and guitars playing something Ødelegger-like and vocals chanting undecipherable rituals along with a high-pitched effect voice. "Rite of Mange Loa" introduces a screeching guitar melody in moderate pace. The scheme remains the same until its end, but it builds and builds and becomes more chaotic every second, until it's time for the last piece, "Invocation of All Gods and Spirit Who Gather Under the Banner of Evil", to kick in and provide some trance-inducing bass lines with multiple layers of vocals proclaiming whatever magical rituals they proclaim.

The best comparison to Shia-Ixa would logically be its native colleague Dead Reptile Shrine. Both bands execute something that's on the verge of ritualistic ambient and black metal. Shia-Ixa, though, might be even a bit more coherent than the aforementioned band in that there's a bit more structure to these songs than DRS sometimes tends to have. I also hear something similar to Saturnian Mist in here which, though, I can't fully explain. All in all, Chaos Voodoo Magick is an odd bird that is probably going to make you vomit if played at high volume. It confuses but in a good way. I've really enjoyed listening to this every now and then, but it definitely requires a certain kind of state of mind to get truly appreciated. A quiet dark night would be the most ideal circumstance, I'd say.

4 / 5

No comments:

Post a Comment